Type to search

Another music festival banned in Turkey

Politics Art & Culture National

Another music festival banned in Turkey

Share
Another music festival banned in Türkiye

The Muğla Governor’s Office has banned Milyon Fest Fethiye, a music festival that was going to take place in the resort district of Fethiye between September 1 and 4.

Fethiye Mayor Alim Karaca criticized the decision, saying that the governor’s office did not provide a reason for cancelling the festival.

The opposition-led district municipality, which was among the supporters of the festival, will take legal action against the ban, the mayor said in a written statement.

“We had very nice good again this year. But we were saddened by the news we received from the Governor’s Office in the morning. The Milyon Fest, where we were going to bring our young people together with 16 artists at İnlice Beach, has been canceled by the Governor’s Office. There is no reason.

“We will apply to the administrative court. Concerts of the people close to them are not being canceled.”

Governor’s Office: “Call the district governor”

Neither the Muğla Governor’s Office nor the Fethiye District Governor’s Office have released a statement about the issue.

In response to a phone call from bianet, the Governor’s Office said the Fethiye District Governor’s Office would make a statement about the issue.

The District Governor’s Office said the decision was taken by the Governor’s Office, and told us to call their Environmental Department, which did not respond to a phone call.

Answering bianet’s phone call, an official at the Press Office of the Governor’s Office said, “There is no communication from the Governor’s Office. Call the District Governor’s Offie. We don’t know whether there is a ban or not, either. We are investigating. If there is a communication, I don’t know from where it was sent.”

Several renowned musicians and bands were going to perform at the festival, including Mor ve Ötesi, Duman, Manga, Athena and Selda Bağcan.

Festival and concert bans

Governors have banned three music festivals in three different provinces since May.

Eskişehir on May 9 declared a 15-day event ban, which effectively prevented the Anadolu Fest, which was going to take place between May 12 and 15.

Earlier this month, a district governor in Balıkesir banned the Zeytinli Rock Festival, the longest-running music festival in the country. “Security reasons” were cited for both decisions.

The government and municipalities have banned several concerts the past couple of years for similar reasons, as in addition to a live music ban after midnight as part of the coronavirus measures, which has remained in place despite the lifting of all other restrictions.

(AÖ)

Source:Bianet

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *